- Which of the OSI layers handles each of the following:
- Breaking the transmission stream into frames
- Determining which route through the subnet to use.
- When transferring a file between two computers, (at least) two acknowledgment strategies
are possible. In the first one, the file is chopped up into packets, which are
individually acknowledged by the receiver, but the file transfer as a whole is not
acknowledged. In the second one, the packets are not acknowledged individually, but the
entire file is acknowledged when it arrives. Discuss advantages and disadvantages of these
- Shannon and Nyquist place an upper limit on the bit rate of a channel based on two
different approaches. How are the two related?
- Is the Nyquist theorem true for optical fiber, or only for copper wire ?
- When bit stuffing is used, is it possible for the loss, insertion, or modification of a
single bit to cause an error not detected by the checksum? If not, why not? If so, how?
Does the checksum length play a role here?
- a) Describe the principle of operation of the following medium access control methods as
used in LANs:
- Token Ring,
- Token Bus